Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Heater blower

Schultzee

City
Pilot Butte
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2012 fiesta
Blower works off and on, you can hear it selecting when moving the knob to different comfort levels....defrost,floor,etc. But sometimes I have to turn it to the A.C. position and the fan starts again. If I also leave it for a bit and try later it works . Could it be the resistor??

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The resistor - that unit has connectors and sits bolted to the housing the motor rests in. So yes, if the wiring is corroded or someone has messed with it - those connectors can cause an intermittent connection, so the blower doesn't turn on right away.
1668654168214.png

But if you're noticing a slow spin up - then that is a different type of condition.

If it's slow to "start up" then the blower itself might need service. (Bearings)

OP
S

Schultzee

City
Pilot Butte
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2012 fiesta
Thread Starter #3
There's no slow start up, it just works or doesn't. Like before, if it quits working I'll shut the car off, go back in a bit , start the car and it works.🤔

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The connector is towards the firewall, BEHIND (from your perspective) the main housing - embedded in the cold air intake side of the housing.

So if the connector and or cars dash has been hit with something or even a flooding situation - this area shows it.

Was the Cabin Air cleaner ever replaced?

IF done on a regular basis - check this time for damages to it - see if the filter or the housing cover for it, when it was serviced, the connector to the back of this - got struck or yanked or the wiring pried against - pulling it off the connector for that resistor.

1668686488979.png
1668686451395.png

It sounds like, when you hit the AC an air door moves so the ever so slight movement re-establishes connection on that connector from the movement in the housing itself.

You can see it here and make up your mind whether you want to do this or not.

In this post, the section shown is for a typical Manual Climate control (3-knob in-console) - not the Auto-Climate system it can have.

Last edited:
OP
S

Schultzee

City
Pilot Butte
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2012 fiesta
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for all the input everyone. It turned out to be the blower motor. It was quite the chore to replace but gotter done.😬