Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Dashcam information & opinion request!

City
Eastbourne
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta ST Line 125 Navigation 2017
Hi everyone,

After a bit of information, and then a bit of opinion too please

I got 66 plate st line, new dashcam front and rear to Hardwire

What fuses are people using for Constant, and for Switched?
From diagram in manual, for Switched, I am considering washer pump, as that will come on with full ignition

Then, where are mk7/7.5 owners locating their rear cam? :
* top rear window which could possibly (tho can is small) touch heated strips?
* just above screen - there is no inner trim in the centre so straight on inner metal directly above (this is level when boot is shut)
BOTH the above would mean cable runs visibly along top of rear screen
* on rearmost part of roof lining? I am assuming 3m pads stick to the fabric

All thoughts very welcome!

Stephen

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The wiper-washer circuit is a good choice for switched power. I have never encountered a rear mounted video "event recorder". In the states we enjoy having a reverse camera setup mounted on the plate bracket and just hardwire the camera power to the right rear backup lamp circuit.
Do you get a big insurance discount by having two event recorder's on board?

OP
S
City
Eastbourne
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
The wiper-washer circuit is a good choice for switched power. I have never encountered a rear mounted video "event recorder". In the states we enjoy having a reverse camera setup mounted on the plate bracket and just hardwire the camera power to the right rear backup lamp circuit.
Do you get a big insurance discount by having two event recorder's on board?

OP
S
City
Eastbourne
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
Thanks, yeah OK washer/wiper is the way to go
Well my fiesta has rear sensors but no camera, and cam is indoor one anyway
Cam I have can be programmed to take time lapse pics (unnecessary tbh) and parking mide, so switches on in event of being smacked while car is parked - that's what I'm after as I park in streets when at work, and the area's not super nice loool
So this is a weird one:
You can get up to 30% off insurance with dashcams esp parking mode/event recorder ones
I renewed in Feb
I phoned them last week and asked how much they'd reduce when I declare it as modification - they said Nothing! But we'd consider reduction Next February when you renew!
I am still a bit fuming! and am considering cancelling policy with them just for that!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would be looking for a different insurance company!
You can see my reverse camera install on my thread
"Tent camping with a Fiesta" . i did a fairly extensive build of a hitch mounted basket carrier for camping equipment. The reverse camera install is towards the end of the thread.

OP
S
City
Eastbourne
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
Brilliant, thanks that's really useful to me

I think if I had dashcams to fit on 2 cars the second would be super quick! This first one I am planning looool was starting today, found the hardwire kit had wrong wires on (what are the chances hey!) and when I returned from swapping it at halfords it was pouring down- so will get it done tomorrow

Cheers Scotman, very helpful 👍🏼

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Living near the coastline, you might want to be proactive regarding cleaning and protection of the electrical grounds on your fiesta! Strange things begin to happen to the functionality of many features as the grounds fail due to the effects of corrosion. Keep us posted on the camera install, and give my regards to the Seven Sisters!