Welcome to the #1 ST Forum and ST community dedicated to ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the ST Forum today!

Class III hitch?

brookz66

City
Westfield
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Edge Limited w/ tow pkg
I have a 2014 Ford Edge Limited with a tow package. It comes with a Class II hitch. I recently bought a trailer that came with a weight distribution hitch which requires a Class III hitch. Can I replace the factory hitch? Is there extra stability worth it?

City
Grass Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Edge Sport
Im sure you can put on a class 3 hitch with a 2 Inch receiver, but it might have to be an aftermarket instead of OEM.

Considering the wheel base of these crossovers, yes I am sure it will help. You didnt mention the length and the weight of the trailer you are trying to tow. By upgrading your hitch to tow class 3, you will most likely be grossly exceeding the limits of the Edge, but we wont know until you provide the additional info. Also, does your trailer have brakes?

1614062854257.png

City
Williston
State
VT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Edge ST
You should NOT exceed the Class II ratings on this vehicle. I have towed 3 thousand pounds, and you can feel it, let alone hit the 3500 max rating.

GoHot

City
Morven
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Edge sel
I just had Ford put on my factory package
Ended up being $650.00 ish installed.back end of the car came off, Lights and all as the hitch was mounted. Might be more in your area.....

GaryRI

City
MIDDLETOWN
State
RI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 F150
I just had Ford put on my factory package
Ended up being $650.00 ish installed.back end of the car came off, Lights and all as the hitch was mounted. Might be more in your area.....
Was package just the hitch and light connector?

No brake controller?
No transmission fluid or differential fluid cooler?

Big_O

City
Dacula
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 Ford Edge
Do they add a transmission cooler also?