Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2013 Fiesta SE Front disc brake dust shield question.

dcjredline

City
Big Sity
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Ive searched the forum and YouTube and no luck.

Doing front wheel bearing on a 13 US model Fiesta. As I was impacting the bearing out, the dust cover came loose and fell off. Ive looked at it for 3 days now (lol) and cant for the life of me figure out WHAT HOLDS THIS THING ON? There are no screws in the spindle (every other car Ive ever done dust shields on had a couple screws holding it on). Are these really "friction fit" there is no way this is going to hold on there, I figure rust must have been holding it on prior. HELP? lol. I really want to put the car back to how its supposed to be, this is for a first time car owner when she gets her license.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You have actually a bolt or two to align and keep it to the Steering knuckle, but a lot of times those bolts - their heads rust off and you're left with "studs" that need to be drilled out and re-tapped.to you can bolt that "Splash" (They call it) or "Dust" (more common thought) shield - so you'll have to do some looking around for another newer shield.
1701827194956.png
Ford's in-house part number is AE8Z-2K005-A (Left) or AE8Z-2K004-A (Right)

So you'll have to "put this on," orient and fit in approximate location so you can locate the rusted studs that are left and remove them - so you can replace the bolts with new.

OP
D

dcjredline

City
Big Sity
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Thread Starter #3
You have actually a bolt or two to align and keep it to the Steering knuckle, but a lot of times those bolts - their heads rust off and you're left with "studs" that need to be drilled out and re-tapped.to you can bolt that "Splash" (They call it) or "Dust" (more common thought) shield - so you'll have to do some looking around for another newer shield.
Ford's in-house part number is AE8Z-2K005-A (Left) or AE8Z-2K004-A (Right)

So you'll have to "put this on," orient and fit in approximate location so you can locate the rusted studs that are left and remove them - so you can replace the bolts with new.
THANK YOU. Looks like neither of the alignment studs nor the bolt head are still there. I will go out tomorrow after work and check in those areas then report back. THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT VISUAL!!!!

OP
D

dcjredline

City
Big Sity
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Thread Starter #4
Handy Andy.

I see absolutely no evidence that there were ever bolts there. There isnt anything there where you said the studs were supposed to be and the mounting hole in your pic is lower than anything and about 1.5" away from anything it could possibly mount to. I looked at the other side without removing the rotor (will remove tomorrow) and see no evidence on that one of any bolt heads either. I sure hope I can figure this out. Here are some pics for you. IMG_20231206_190251319.jpg IMG_20231206_190251319.jpg IMG_20231206_190259029.jpg IMG_20231206_190307470.jpg IMG_20231206_190443548.jpg IMG_20231206_193159975.jpg IMG_20231206_193203996.jpg IMG_20231206_193208179.jpg

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Yes, you're right - they don't align - not at all.

I'm stumped...

I own a 2018 - so that "dust shield" crosses over to mine. They told me it fits all the way back to 2011 - whatever that means now.

I see you're holding the one that is original - so what kind of dust shield does yours look like?

OP
D

dcjredline

City
Big Sity
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Thread Starter #6

I'm stumped...

I own a 2018 - so that "dust shield" crosses over to mine. They told me it fits all the way back to 2011 - whatever that means now.

I see you're holding the one that is original - so what kind of dust shield does yours look like?
I appreciate you still helping me!!! It looks just like the one in your pic. Most Ford sites list it as the one for her 2013. I will report back when I get the drivers side caliper and rotor off tomorrow with some more pics!! Lol. I really think these press on, its mind blowing. Im going to have to leave this one off if so, or drill into the spindle and put a bolt in at least a couple places. Not sure drilling into the spindle is better than leaving the shield off.

OP
D

dcjredline

City
Big Sity
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Thread Starter #8

I'm stumped...

Here is the driver's side. No screws. I'm going to try JB weld

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I think I have a clue on this, and it deals with the caliper and it's bracket.

1701997841899.png

You have an answer - I'm just not sure if it is the right one. This problem is aggravated by the age of the Knuckle and the worn out areas this new cover shield needs to sit in.

The best way to describe this is thru your two pics you took of the "flange"...between the caliper bracket bolts.

1701997595136.png

Ok, what I'm talking about, is how the "caliper" rests in the bracket - and this flange on the knuckle.

Your shield has to two alignment tabs - and notice how it's "bent over" - when you look at the above and this shield, the shield is held in place by the caliper - it has two "tabs" that mesh with the shield and flange - they are all spaced just right so they "align" and the bracket keeps the shield from "turning".

If your caliper can be inspected - see if you can find those index notches.

It looks by your photos, that was the weakest point - that part of the shield fell - it broke in two - now you can't put it back on - so yes, you'll need the new one - for it "aligns" that curved piece to fit the groove in the knuckle then the caliper presses the two together to hold it.

To keep it from shifting - the Caliper and bracket - use it's own grooves - to fit the notches - so the assembly becomes one unit. Where the alignment tabs are - that is the "Cutout" for the Caliper to fit into.

Inspect your caliper and the old dust shield see if you can use the old as a template to find those notches and let you put this back together. Then you'll see how the new dust shield can fit in there.

The newer shields now come with predrilled holes and you can drill and tap if needed - as you see in your previous photos - the shield has 3 holes - those holes and the knuckle itself - fit that outline if you need to use 2-bolts to put the shield on.

So you know - it's not "necessary" that the dust shield is put back on right away, you can use the vehicle without it but the debris it will suck into the rotor can get flung around and chip up your wheel well pretty bad

The problem is - you have to assemble the Caliper and bracket - with the shield - onto the piece so you can then fit the hub onto it. Once it's assembled, then the caliper and bracket can be removed, then the Hub put on, leaving the shield to dangle or you can zip-tie it to one of the "ears" of the calipers bracket mount on the knuckle - so you can put on the hub, then put on the bracket, shield and caliper sandwiched together.

OP
D

dcjredline

City
Big Sity
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Thread Starter #10
Im not sure I follow, Ill re-read it more. In the mean time, the pics of the driver side had the caliper removed and the dust shield wasnt loose whatsoever. Also here are some pics of the caliper (a new one online). I see no where that the caliper touches the notches. When installing the caliper on the drivers side tonight its no where near the hub. At least I dont think it was. Ill have to look tomorrow. FRC12256_SID.jpg FRC12255DN_BOT.jpg

Attachments

OP
D

dcjredline

City
Big Sity
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Thread Starter #11
The JB weld wont interfere with the caliper mounting (at least I hope lol) so IF the caliper holds the shield "in" also then even better. There is a notch below in the shield that holds it from turning/rotating. I guess Ill try to put the caliper back on the bracket tomorrow before installing the hub to see. Ill get you pics again sir. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP and talking through it with me. I hope to find an answer so this thread helps someone in the future.

OP
D

dcjredline

City
Big Sity
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fiesta
Thread Starter #12
Ok, I now see what you are talking about BUT the caliper bracket doesnt actually sit outisde of that bent over part. its actually even with it. There is supposed to be a sliver of clearance between them. Even if it did hold the shield on it wouldnt hold the opposing side on, it seems like it would actually put pressure on that side and make the other side not sit tight. Here are the pics of the mangled (and now JB Welded) shield under the caliper bracket. Hard for sure to say what a new one would look like but this one isnt anywhere near behind the bracket. Hope these pics help. IMG_20231208_121759280.jpg