Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Welcome newcomers, please introduce yourself!

City
Blooming Grove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
White 2017 Ford Fiesta SE Sedan
Hello Everyone!

I would like to purchase an Auto Meter 2391 Gauge Kit for my 2017 Ford Fiesta SE Sedan.
The gauge kit has the following:

1. A Temperature Gauge which displays from 100 through 280 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. An Oil Pressure Gauge which displays from 0 through 100 PSI.
3. A Voltmeter which measures from 8 through 18 volts.

I will post a manufacturer’s web link.

What do you think?

https://www.autometer.com/1-1-2-3-gauge-console-oil-volt-water-elec.html

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Sounds good. I wouldn't know what to hook it to, but there must be a way.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The "Auto Meter" types are recommended for only specific types of installs. The Coolant sensor for example - is for a type of bolt that when removed - has to be replaced with this unit. And is more of a specific size and depth. Particular for the engine block - not too many automakers set aside a bolt/plug for those who want this type of install - the choice is up to you - because as systems get more integrated the ability to get sensors in there are more and more limited

A Video can be seen here

Not too many cars these days offer an extra bolts/plugs hole or two for such an install - the emissions system itself already is going to take the best spots for itself by the manufacturer design.

So, unless Auto Gauge can get on the phone and guide you to the spots on the vehicles engine so these can be installed as "stand alone" and not piggybacked and affecting the emission side of the detection, reference and pressure - this may be a waste of time.

People whom show you a water gauge temp sensor - on the hose - remember it is requiring a cut into that line - and will only get the temperature for that section of hose and if it's run thru a thermostat outlet, the thing will be slow response when cold on a regular basis the suddenly rise up then drop back off when the thermostat shuts - so if that's what you want to see - expect the problems with leaks in the hose for the hose it's using will be compromised by the "adapter".

Same thing applies to the Oil Pressure, the best method is to use a TEE fitting and allows the sensor to tap off of one side of transducer that already there.

The worst part of this is the electrical system inside each gauge is only regulated by the power supply feeder line - so if you have it direct to the Fuse block - you get one result, tap into the battery, you get another (and no way to turn it off) If you use the Voltmeter - the thing can be hooked up for you to monitor battery status all the time - even before you start the car. But the other gauges will need a separate feeder - which is why I bring up that point, for they will be sensitive to the abrupt changes in the power supply voltage as devices; like A/C - Blower and Audio engage the regulation and charging system in their own way - so you may see fluctuations - which is normal - but might mis-lead you to think something else is happening.

Seriously, for if you can show where you can put these on the BLOCK - and put them in a video to help - you might get several hundred (thousand) hits just for the learning process.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I have used an adaptor that has a threaded port machined into it for a water temperature sensor. They come in various diameter and are placed nearest to the coolant outlet of the engine cylinder head. They are generally made of aluminum and are not expensive. From less than $10 dollars to around $20 dollars, depending on the size of the adaptor. The closer to the water outlet the better. I have to add that i think this would be better in terms of providing information about engine temperature than the factory temperature sensor outputs from the factory setup. The factory temperature sensor outputs are so heavily buffered at the ECM to be almost useless as an "early warning" solution. When I was autocrossing my 2011 Fiesta, i rigged up a J type thermocouple near the coolant outlet of the cylinder head and was shocked by how quickly the the engine temps would spike during a run. The thermocouple told me that the engine temps were much higher than what the factory temperature gauge indicated! The situation was concerning enough to motivate me to create a ducted and vented hood. hfhhlminfjhiqehpfjqqmjlllmkpmmjkjhhgAGxU.jpg 20220202_181151_(1).jpg

Last edited:

Galsky

City
Tbilisi
State
Non-US
Country
Georgia
What I Drive
ford fiesta 2014
Hi, respected forum and forum mates :D
I'm from Georgia (Republic at the Black See) and I'm here for the first time ,wish spend interesting time with the mates. Nice to meet and read you :D
I drive fiesta 2014 and interested some details about the model. hope get the replies. Thank you

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Welcome to the forum. You will find some information here. I see you are from Tbilisi! I hope that they have managed to rebuild the sky tram gondolas there. I have relatives that traveled to Tbilisi to meet some distant relatives. They had many pictures of your very beautiful city and the nearby mountains and wine country as well as the old city district.
Maybe you could post up some images of your Fiesta near the river area? Is the bridge still lighted with thousands of bulbs like it was in the pictures i was shown?

Galsky

City
Tbilisi
State
Non-US
Country
Georgia
What I Drive
ford fiesta 2014
Welcome to the forum. You will find some information here. I see you are from Tbilisi! I hope that they have managed to rebuild the sky tram gondolas there. I have relatives that traveled to Tbilisi to meet some distant relatives. They had many pictures of your very beautiful city and the nearby mountains and wine country as well as the old city district.
Maybe you could post up some images of your Fiesta near the river area? Is the bridge still lighted with thousands of bulbs like it was in the pictures i was shown?
hi, nice meet you. As for some images with my fiesta :) hope once I 'll do it :D

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Yes, it's always nice to see how the other side of the world appreciates their cars!

Welcome - enjoy your stay - feel free to browse and don't be shy in asking questions, we may not be able to help with all the answers you seek. We're from a different country (USA) but not another planet...so we're not that far... :D

But there are others that do visit and just might pipe up to help!

Fiesta-Q

City
Mudgee
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2005 Fiesta LX
2005? Nice! Welcome!
Yes, a 2005 WP. Purchased it when on holiday in Perth, Western Australia as a cheap runabout. Liked it so much I drove it back to New South Wales (3700km). Still stock standard apart from alloy wheels and some Hankook RS4 sticky tyres. I’ll have to get an ST!

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Welcome! Very nice car. We never got those in the US.

City
Philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta SE
Hello all.
New to this forum, and new to owning a Fiesta. Just got a white 2016 SE and I'm continually surprised at how high tech it is, and how well it drives. I'm coming from a decade of old Mercedes diesel driving, and this little car is a completely different experience! It feels like driving a really tight ice skate.
Looking forward to learning more about this little technological marvel.

Phil Forrest

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Welcome to the forums! There is a lot of useful information to be found here.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Hello all.
New to this forum, and new to owning a Fiesta. Just got a white 2016 SE and I'm continually surprised at how high tech it is, and how well it drives. I'm coming from a decade of old Mercedes diesel driving, and this little car is a completely different experience! It feels like driving a really tight ice skate.
Looking forward to learning more about this little technological marvel.
Phil Forrest
Welcome, @Phil_F_NM! I have a 2015 SE (81k miles). Love it. Fun to drive. 42-44 mpg on the freeway. Check out my build (in the signature) and also I would check out the ST forum for lots of non-performance ideas. I especially like the What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ? thread. I ran through all of that thread when I got my car about 18 months ago; it has great ideas and fun. Great much of folks there as well as my Fiesta friends here. How about a picture or two?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Welcome! You came to the right place. There are some very helpful people here.
The Fiesta is a good handling little car, and with gas prices as high as they are, you're sure to like it even more.

City
Philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Fiesta SE
Welcome, @Phil_F_NM! I have a 2015 SE (81k miles). Love it. Fun to drive. 42-44 mpg on the freeway. Check out my build (in the signature) and also I would check out the ST forum for lots of non-performance ideas. I especially like the What did you do to your Fiesta ST today ? thread. I ran through all of that thread when I got my car about 18 months ago; it has great ideas and fun. Great much of folks there as well as my Fiesta friends here. How about a picture or two?
Thanks for the welcome, y'all!

@LionsTooth I just read through your whole build thread and what you've done to your SE looks great!
Having driven a 1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D since 2013, I'm kind of spoiled by predictable, stable handling. I swear that car is a supercar for driving confidently in narrow, crowded streets. I was thinking the Fiesta was going to be either sluggish, like my dad's old Aveo (had marchmallows for tires,) or too twitchy. It's neither; just very pleasant to drive. I'm not going to be squeezing any more power out of the engine, so aside from doing regular maintenance (oil, plugs, wires, coolant, tranny fluid) I'm leaving it alone. What I may do would be to upgrade the suspension; decrease body roll (which is very low right now,) maybe get a sportier set of tires. I don't really want to go to any rims larger than the stock 15" but a set of 16" could be do-able I suppose. It depends upon how addicted I get to driving this car.

I think this is #20 for me over the course of my life. I was in the Navy from 1997 - 2005 and had a little "problem" with my car hobby. This is my fourth Ford. First being a 1965 Thunderbird with a 390. Then a 1986 Bronco (full size, I-6 300CI), then a 1995 T-Bird with a garbage transmission that didn't like the torque of the V8. Other cars I've owned since 1995: 1986 Subaru, 1967 VW Beetle, 1967 Camaro RS/SS, 1979 IH Scout II, 1969 Chevy C20, 1963 Chevy II, 1st Gen Mazda RX-7 (X3!), 1978 Toyota Corolla, 1993 Jeep Cherokee, 1978 Mercedes 300D, 1972 Mercedes 220D, 1999 Mercedes E320 (rustbucket death-trap.) Looks like 18, but I could be missing a couple. Anyway, this Fiesta has more on-board computing power than the entire Apollo program, and it's amazing. I'm still trying to figure out some of the do-dads in the dash that pair to my phone, etc.

I digress and as you'll all learn, I'm long-winded (or long-written, as it were.) Looking forward to getting to know the car and doing some driving.

Phil Forrest

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Handy Andy General Automotive Discussions 10