Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

If the old spark plugs had fallen apart a little bit and the remains

City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE Ford Fiest 4 door Hatchback
are in the spark plug hole itself with new spark plugs put in it is the porcelain glass pieces will this cause performance issues or bad mpg ? Thanks.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Porcelain? OOPS!

The ceramic might pose a problem - plugs have a ceramic insulator - so if pieces of that "glass insulator" fell into the cylinder, then you might have a problem - it usually will "grind up" but the sediment glass will still be in the system and the oil.

So it can run, but it might mean a short interval for the next oil change and if possible a snake camera to view the cylinder piston and walls to compare it with another known clean cylinder to compare for damage if any.

That porcelain is silica - so it's basically a sand - or grit found in Sand-paper - so small amount? Even then requires a disassembly (pull out those plugs) and vacuum it out if you're not sure - so the particles still in the cylinder can be removed - but if the engine was already driven - then this point is moot.

OP
S
City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
1 very last thing for now. I would used to be able to lock my doors from the inside while my car engine is running now I cannot I can only lock them while the car engine is off BUT, I can still lock and unlock all door with my regular key not key fob but just the key itself I would so apricate it if someone like you here could give me some button type code. Thank you and take care. This Ford Fiesta SE engine is a VERY WELL MADE engine actually. Very well made.

OP
S
City
Rapid City
State
SD
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
Porcelain? OOPS!

The ceramic might pose a problem - plugs have a ceramic insulator - so if pieces of that "glass insulator" fell into the cylinder, then you might have a problem - it usually will "grind up" but the sediment glass will still be in the system and the oil.

So it can run, but it might mean a short interval for the next oil change and if possible a snake camera to view the cylinder piston and walls to compare it with another known clean cylinder to compare for damage if any.

That porcelain is silica - so it's basically a sand - or grit found in Sand-paper - so small amount? Even then requires a disassembly (pull out those plugs) and vacuum it out if you're not sure - so the particles still in the cylinder can be removed - but if the engine was already driven - then this point is moot.
I have not had many mechanical issues at all with this 2013 Ford Fiesta engine but I do feel like if I could remove the remaining spark plug debris that will give me better mpg and here and there my vehicle does take a little time to get up and go at time but very rarely.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I never use a regular 5/8 spark plug socket on plugs in twin cam engines. There is a extended length version of socket for getting the plugs out/in without breaking the insulators. It's worth every penny of it's slightly greater cost. Especially since double platinum or iridium plugs are so expensive.
In the rare occasions I find bits of insulator in the plug galleys of twin cam engines, i take a McDonald's drink straw and a bit of freshly chewed bubblegum to dive in and grab the chunks. 20220702_083002.jpg 20220702_082540.jpg