Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Raamaudio mat with 2J race intake install/review

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I ordered a sound deadening kit from Rick/Raamaudio a few weeks ago. I had hoped to install it with the external wastegate, but time was def not on my side that day, so I skipped it. Anyway....

So today... I got a glimpse of time, and I knew it wasn't enough to tackle my meth setup, intake spacer or to take my time bleeding the brakes so I tackled the ole sound deadening project.

The raam mat was really easy to deal with and scissors delt with cutting it just fine. I in-cased the entire area with the raam mat. I covered it completely. I also used my alum plate I fabbed last week to divide the air filter area from the AC intake area. I covered it with raam mat as well.

The padded other stuff he sent with me, I was not too confident in. After I layed the first piece I layed, I was much more happy with it. Its sticky. Very sticky.

I also added the foam stuff to the plastic cowling that goes over the wipers and stuff.

Since I'm having a hard time... Here are pics.

Why would you place sound deadening material there? In car audio that stuff is used to stop panel resonance/flex, not absorb noise. You need insulation if you're trying to cut down on unwanted noises.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Not an easy job in tight confines with very sticky materials but you should have a nice noise reduction, not sure if it will be enough but will help and I hope it is!

You might want to extend the divider out all the way to seal up between the upper and lower cowl area.

-----------

Note: This is not a Fiesta ST fitment kit, just some materials I sent to help deal with the cowl induction noise. If I had cowl induction I would of made an aluminum spacer to block off the cabin air inlet completely from the induction inlet, installed with the RAAMmat to keep it in place and lined with the Ensolite. I would of used less RAAMmat as it is a great sealer and for more resonate prone metal surfaces to deaden it but due to the higher frequencies of the induction covering all the metal will not add a great deal more to the effect.

If in there working again sometime you could remove some of the RAAMmat to save some weight but do want all areas covered with the Ensolite as it deals with the higher freqs better.

Sorry I did not think of it but I have some pictures of a template I was working on some time back....:(

I will post them if I find them.

Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
After helping tens of thousands around the world deaden their vehicles I think I know a bit about such things;)

It will work, could of been done a bit easier and less material and a little more effective as well but it will help a fair amount.

I should of sent more info on doing the job, sorry SS, my bad.

Rick

After helping tens of thousands around the world deaden their vehicles I think I know a bit about such things;)

It will work, could of been done a bit easier and less material and a little more effective as well but it will help a fair amount.

I should of sent more info on doing the job, sorry SS, my bad.

Rick
I know who you are ;) I spent many a days on DIYMA. I have half a roll of BXT leftover somewhere around here.

I just don't see the point with how small the flat surfaces are, to adding any deadening material there. Even on the flat surfaces, one only needs 25% coverage for the full effect. I just don't see if helping that much, but hey maybe I'm wrong. I would argue that something like ensolite is going to be more effective in this situation than deadening, if induction noise reduction is the goal.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Rick, that's what I did, lol. I used an alum plate to make a divider; its lined front and back with mat and foam stuff. And before I put the upper cowling back on, I sandwiched a piece of the foam stuff together with 25% of the alum plate in the middle so that foam filled in the gap between the cowling and the alum plates, not air tight competely from the area where the AC pulls air from, but close enough.

Its perfect. I love it.
It was getting dark or I would have taken a quick video. I'll have the cowling off again soon to build the dump tubes at the exhaust shop ( I hope ). So I'll try to remember to get some better finished shots then, after I heat wrap the dump tube.

Maybe I did a poor describing what I did.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Either way... It was enough material, and it works AWESOME. I super highly recommend this. Not sure if Rick is really even selling this stuff anymore or not, but even at the price of dynamat extreme and what ever that foam stuff cost retail, its worth it !!!

I'm 100% happy with this intake now, instead of 85% happy(power) 15% unhappy ( noise ).

Sound waves create movement in the damping material and friction between the molecules turns that motion in to heat thus damping the sound wave.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great, glad you are happy with the results:)

I was in a rush to get out the door and could of typed it better, what I was saying is the same effect could be had with much less of the matt but all or most of the Ensolite foam.

The theory that 25% coverage is all the mat needed is not accurate, maybe an average of the whole car when doing a sound quality install but far more when doing an audio competition install.

For most installs many areas need more than 25% and many areas do not need any mat. In the case of the intake noise in the cowl some of the mat is used to secure the aluminum barrier and also deaden it, a bit on any resonate prone larger areas which would be very little, then the foam which will diffuse higher frequency energy but also help decouple lower frequency energy(not that critical in this application).

If one made a more solid and tight fitting barrier our of something like Alumalite it could be secured and sealed with silicone and then use the foam everywhere and not mat at all.

--------------

There is a reason why my products were selected and used in the International Space Station Training Mockup, it was not marketing hype;)

The raamaudio/dynamat will absolutely reduce in cabin resonance. I dont see why everyone wants to argue that fact...... sheez dont buy the 2jr intake and dont insulate it.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Actually neither of those mats alone are anywhere nearly effective as a proper sound deadening approach covering a broader frequency spectrum and I looked for a better answer and started using then selling Ensolite years before anyone else figured out a well engineered and utilized foam product was so important.

Notes:

1) The training Mockup is land based:)

2) The original Ensolite was developed by NASA as a thermal and acoustical barrier, still amazing stuff all these years later.

3) No argument here, just stating facts;)

Have a great day, I might not be online much as preparing to move the RV to Tucson for a week or two then we will head.......

Rick

V_2

I did something similar with mine using the same materials and cabin noise was definitely reduced to the point where I don't mind dailying this intake.

I'm really bad about taking "completed" photos, but this is when I was fitting the foam divider I made.
20160125_004254.jpg