City
New Castle
State
DE
Country
United States
What I Drive
ford fusion 2010 sport
My ford fusion 2010, 3,5 has rather bad MPG around 13 mpg in city. Have, it tested with mechanics nothing seems to be wrong. What could be the possible reasons, I suspect a thermostat. let me know if somebody had a similar issue.

Clara

City
Oak Park
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Don’s answer is pretty rude…
I do have the same problem… the EV does not connect at all and my mpg is stuck in 18.5, not changing ever, and I’m sure I’m making a lot less than that. I’m trying to forscan the problem but the won’t connect to the laptop.
Mine is a Fusion Hybrid 2012.
Let me know if you get to fix the problem.
Good luck!

SportKing

City
Cataula
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Sport
My 2011 Sport is averaging around 19 mpg and I believe that is what my first 2011 got back in 2011-2014. My wife drove the first car about 50 miles a day in combination freeway and city traffic. The second car does not see the freeway often at all with two lane paved country road being its natural environment. We are retired and adding about 4000 miles a year today versus the 16000 a year when employed. We do drive easy watching the mpg closely. Mchedisvili probably driving stop and go in downtown traffic and may get caught in the StopLight Grand Prix type traffic flow causing his poor mileage .He might be able to change his routing and get relief that way.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There could be many reasons for it, but you are the one that uses this vehicle, so the rest of us can only speculate.

Many would say - change your Driving habits, although it sounds harsh, it is only a reminder to be aware of the conditions and operation of your vehicle's controls.

A good example is this.

1651192379076.png

That little button is a means to help keep you on the road in specific conditions, and to help you thru conditions that are affecting the vehicles handling - terrain, rain/snow - wind as well as steep grades or hauling heavy loads or just need help keeping pace with traffic that without the means it affects the shift points and gear selection - it could put you in a dangerous position of being unable to slow down or speed up without generating a overheating condition or excessive braking or poor fuel economy in acceleration and/or deceleration - which seems to be the topic of discussion.

You own a 2010 - this is 2022 - 12 years is a long time passed before you begin to sense trouble with transmission or driving issues - so you have by admiration for keeping something built so long ago, still on the road to enjoy.

Now, this also goes back to other issues like maintenance and are you keeping good records?

Tire wear and poor economy, when you have questions about the degradation of performance and MPG, tend to go hand in hand - so if you're finding tires' tread are looking worn or uneven, might want to look into an alignment - a good clue is to simply find an open spot or empty parking lot that has a small grade or tilt to the pavement - so you can check rolling resistance.

You know,​
  • put the car in park, keep the brakes off
  • - start the car
  • - apply the brake so you can shift to Neutral and release the brake foot pedal and wait/watch for, and test for ability to start rolling, ease of steering and coast
  • Now see how well it performs
  • - for if the car doesn't roll, steer smoothly, or never gains momentum rolling along a slight incline or hill, Why?
  • Brakes? Bearings? Tires worn?
Anything that hinders the ability for the car to roll - that adds to drag - which demonstrates poor Fuel Economy - so the more you know what is going on, can help the service man find and fix specific problems without having to charge you for excessive amounts of diagnosis and wasting your time trying to find something when it's already in plain sight.​
So, start looking into getting service - if it has a lot of miles, then age and miles and any suspension, steering - brakes or any mis-alignments - will affect how easy the car can roll - acting like it has it's brakes on all the time, usually means it is...