Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

6000 CD stereo draining battery

Baffled

City
Belper
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2006 Fiesta Ghia
Hi guys,

My daughter recently bought a low-mileage 2006 1.4 Fiesta Ghia from a local trader. She uses it for short local journeys most days, with no long trips. It (usually) starts well, runs well and is a great little car. All the electrical systems, including the stereo, work as expected.

About 4 weeks after buying it, out of the blue, she needed a jump start to get her going. When she got home I put the battery on charge overnight and everything was fine for another few weeks. Once again, with no warning, she had to get a jump start. I disconnected the battery, charged it, and put an ammeter in series with the positive lead when I re-fitted it. With doors shut and everything switched off there was a steady current of 1.7 Amps flowing.

The trader got an auto electrician to look at the car. He checked the battery, which he said was fine, and read the fault codes. There was an old speedo sensor fault, several faults to do with me disconnecting the battery and an ACM fault. He didn't think the 2006 Fiestas had an ACM, so suggested the stereo was causing the problem.

I took the stereo out and, with the doors shut and everything switched off, the battery drain had fallen to 370 milliAmps. I assume some of that was due to the bonnet being open.

I've just swapped the stereo for an another 6000 CD unit, (part number 6S61-18C815-AF) which was guaranteed working, plugged it in and the battery drain under the same conditions has gone back to up 1.7 Amps.

Has anyone else had these sort of problems or can someone suggest what might be going on? I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok, this sounds like the condition the Stereo is in, is not sending a signal to the console unit to power off.

I would put the old unit back in, see if the 1.7A draw occurs again and start checking out the MENU and the unit - see if it's telling the stereo unit to stay up - due to the fact that someone may have been trying to pair it's BT with their unit and it's somehow paired but paired with something left inside the car so the two constantly talk to each other.

This might need to have the CD unit have a "Hard reset" being that it needs to go back to factory defaults - but before you do this, check the console MENU and make sure the CD unit (Audio unit) is not trying to pair or stay operational with a device plugged into a lighter socket or a device now left inside the car that the player is trying to play thru - is not turning off - keeping the system active until turned off.

Does that Ghia have TPMS? Wonder if that is what is causing this.