Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Ultimate Tune

DatPYR0

Hey guys!

I absolutely love my fiesta, and every day I wonder if I could push it further and further by adding some additional power (Because who doesn't like power?). I'm almost positive I'm going to go with the S3 package from Cobb seeing there aren't any independent Ford tuners in my area. I was wondering though, how else could I push it? Obviously I could throw 100 octane fuel and get more. A bigger turbo gives me more torque. But I want the fine additions to my car, like suspension, brakes, and probably something I've left out completely. Anyone who's put the money into their fiesta have recommendations? Or even regrets? I've been debating with this a long time and I've decided I need to get my facts straight before spring!

Thanks!

You don't need more torque at stage 3 you have 320tq+ in a 2600lb car. People go big turbo for more hp and people use e30 with a tune for more power not 100 octane. Those are the most popular routes

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
You need less torque and more HP spread over a wider RPM range if you want the car to be quick all the time. The to small turbo is a bit upside down, big torque down low and not much on the top end, too big a turbo and not enough torque down low and a lot more top end, best bet for a great all around power band for the money is the Cyborg stock turbo upgrade, if you want a bit more HP then a GT2554 or 2560 is the way to go.

Hey guys!

I absolutely love my fiesta, and every day I wonder if I could push it further and further by adding some additional power (Because who doesn't like power?). I'm almost positive I'm going to go with the S3 package from Cobb seeing there aren't any independent Ford tuners in my area. I was wondering though, how else could I push it? Obviously I could throw 100 octane fuel and get more. A bigger turbo gives me more torque. But I want the fine additions to my car, like suspension, brakes, and probably something I've left out completely. Anyone who's put the money into their fiesta have recommendations? Or even regrets? I've been debating with this a long time and I've decided I need to get my facts straight before spring!

Thanks!
You don't need to have any tuners local to you to get the most out of your car. I have tuned over 200 Fiesta's all via email. I do it for a living and it is my main focus so I have the time to perfect a tune for a customer.

www.adamtuned.com

I would suggest doing Tune/Intercooler first then move onto a Catback and intake. Downpipe shouldn't be upgraded on the stock turbo, however if you upgrade to an ATP unit I would recommend getting a downpipe then. Best best when you do an ATP upgrade is to ditch their factory downpipe adapter and have a custom downpipe made from the turbo to the catback. Their adapter isn't the greatest design for flow and power can be had by getting a new downpipe made.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I could write an essay on all the changes I've made and money that was spent... Can't say I regret anything, though. With that said, some advice for you:

- Don't be cheap: If you want something, have patience and save for the part. But also, understand the difference between cheap, and inexpensive. Look beyond the hype generated over a part.
- Do it right, do it once: If you're the one performing the upgrade, get the tools for the job and have patience while working. This car has some tight spaces that require patience to avoid breaking anything.
- If you don't know, ask someone or search: Pretty simple.

Obviously, I don't know your financial situation, or how much knowledge/experience you have, but there is no dearth of data/knowledge/discussion here on this forum. So, I'll just assume you know what's up.

As to my recommendations for tuning:

I suggest Adam (Tune+) if you plan on staying with the stock turbo. He has an awesome deal on his tunes that will allow you make changes whenever you want. If you want to go big turbo, look no farther than Dead Hook Motorsports [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION]. I may be biased, but any other big turbo setup includes a huge sacrificial gap. Now, there is also the Cyborg hybrid turbo (built by [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION]) that is nothing to scoff at either; this little guy sets you up with a huge, flat powerband that will make a Camaro SS sweat in a roll race. Although...the big turbo options do make the cry profusely. Even 5.0 owners get a little salty.

Intakes:

Don't need it... But if you want to spend the money, I suggest CP-e or a silicone pipe/panel filter.

Intercooler:

You want one of these. Any of them do better than stock. Print a picture out of each of them, put them on a board, throw a dart, and you'll be good. (If you're going big turbo or Cyborg Dead Hook is always the winner, though.) Also, pass on the hard-pipes, unless you want them for show.

Exhaust:

As mentioned, replacing the exhaust is a questionable move. Why are they made then? Well, people like to spend money. If you're going with a Cyborg or a big turbo, you WILL want to replace the downpipe as a minimum. But if you really must... Same thing as the intercooler; throw a dart at one. Caveat: be wary with MBRP exhausts, it seems that any material other than aluminized have drone issues.

Catch can:

The jury is still out deliberating on whether than can completely keep the valves clean, IMO. Regardless, Mishimoto seems to be the best out for fitment... I went that route. Why, did I get a catch can you ask? Well, I'm glad you fucking asked... Jk. But, honestly, oil vapors do have the possibility of inhibiting timing when they are mixed in to the combustion process.

So, that covers my thoughts on bolt-ons and tunes... Happy modding.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Besides power mods, that hijinx seems to have covered pretty well, I would suggest an aftermarket rear motor mount. Cobb makes a nice mount which will keep the comfort of the stock car. If you want vibrations get a boomba mount.

If you ask me Lighter wheels and some performance tires are a must as well

There are other mods that some may say is a must and other say you don't need em. Turbo smart internal wastegate and BOV if you stick with the stock turbo. It's debatable but those that did the mod seem to like it.

Any pierce Motorsport or tb Motorsport suspension mods are great as well

I could write an essay on all the changes I've made and money that was spent... Can't say I regret anything, though. With that said, some advice for you:

- Don't be cheap: If you want something, have patience and save for the part. But also, understand the difference between cheap, and inexpensive. Look beyond the hype generated over a part.
- Do it right, do it once: If you're the one performing the upgrade, get the tools for the job and have patience while working. This car has some tight spaces that require patience to avoid breaking anything.
- If you don't know, ask someone or search: Pretty simple.

Obviously, I don't know your financial situation, or how much knowledge/experience you have, but there is no dearth of data/knowledge/discussion here on this forum. So, I'll just assume you know what's up.

As to my recommendations for tuning:

I suggest Adam (Tune+) if you plan on staying with the stock turbo. He has an awesome deal on his tunes that will allow you make changes whenever you want. If you want to go big turbo, look no farther than Dead Hook Motorsports [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION]. I may be biased, but any other big turbo setup includes a huge sacrificial gap. Now, there is also the Cyborg hybrid turbo (built by [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION]) that is nothing to scoff at either; this little guy sets you up with a huge, flat powerband that will make a Camaro SS sweat in a roll race. Although...the big turbo options do make the cry profusely. Even 5.0 owners get a little salty.

Intakes:

Don't need it... But if you want to spend the money, I suggest CP-e or a silicone pipe/panel filter.

Intercooler:

You want one of these. Any of them do better than stock. Print a picture out of each of them, put them on a board, throw a dart, and you'll be good. (If you're going big turbo or Cyborg Dead Hook is always the winner, though.) Also, pass on the hard-pipes, unless you want them for show.

Exhaust:

As mentioned, replacing the exhaust is a questionable move. Why are they made then? Well, people like to spend money. If you're going with a Cyborg or a big turbo, you WILL want to replace the downpipe as a minimum. But if you really must... Same thing as the intercooler; throw a dart at one. Caveat: be wary with MBRP exhausts, it seems that any material other than aluminized have drone issues.

Catch can:

The jury is still out deliberating on whether than can completely keep the valves clean, IMO. Regardless, Mishimoto seems to be the best out for fitment... I went that route. Why, did I get a catch can you ask? Well, I'm glad you fucking asked... Jk. But, honestly, oil vapors do have the possibility of inhibiting timing when they are mixed in to the combustion process.

So, that covers my thoughts on bolt-ons and tunes... Happy modding.
I've retuned a lot of big turbo cars for customers this past year. I appreciate you making the recommendation but you made it seem like I don't tune big turbo Fiesta's as well ;).

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I've retuned a lot of big turbo cars for customers this past year. I appreciate you making the recommendation but you made it seem like I don't tune big turbo Fiesta's as well ;).
Sorry, that wasn't my intention to have it worded that way. I was giving my recommendation for big turbo tuning.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Hey guys!

Thanks!
Research, research, research....Sit down and write down what you want to achieve. Decide on who you want to do the the tuning then go. If it is power you are wanting....my opinion is to skip spending all of the money on staged setups and go straight for on of the upgraded turbo kits. It will cost a lot up front, but by the time you spend a small fortune with staged upgrades...you will have paid for the turbo upgrade.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Research, research, research....Sit down and write down what you want to achieve. Decide on who you want to do the the tuning then go. If it is power you are wanting....my opinion is to skip spending all of the money on staged setups and go straight for on of the upgraded turbo kits. It will cost a lot up front, but by the time you spend a small fortune with staged upgrades...you will have paid for the turbo upgrade.
Great advice though I'm sure staged upgrades will be much cheaper especially if you install it yourself. I'm about $1500 in so far to get all the parts for a stage 2ish setup, all used except the CP-E intake, all installed myself. Another $250 for a planned Adam tune in the future and I'm about maxed out as far as staged tuning/power goes. That's much cheaper than a turbo kit with necessary plumbing and etc. not to mention install....a good bit cheaper.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Great advice though I'm sure staged upgrades will be much cheaper especially if you install it yourself. I'm about $1500 in so far to get all the parts for a stage 2ish setup, all used except the CP-E intake, all installed myself. Another $250 for a planned Adam tune in the future and I'm about maxed out as far as staged tuning/power goes. That's much cheaper than a turbo kit with necessary plumbing and etc. not to mention install....a good bit cheaper.
That is... If you can stay at stage 2ish. I'm not saying that going through the stages is bad, but if (as I said in my earlier post) power is what one is going after... A turbo upgrade kit would be my preference. Just advice coming from someone who has spent a lot of money over the years. You will never get close to the power of a upgraded turbo with just staged bolt one on this car. Companies like DHM have kit coming out that are comparable to a full out Stage 3 bolt on setup in price. A lot of the parts that people get (intake, cat back, etc) are not required necessarily on a turbo upgrade to make great power. Sure they will enhance the power results even more if you already have them but not necessary. So with that being said.... 3-4K on a mild turbo upgrade kit vs 3 k on a stage 3 setup.... If I had to do it over again with this car....the turbo upgrade would be the choice. Then there is, of course, warranty concerns...well that's a whole other subject.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Btw, good choice with the Tune+ tune. Adam does great work.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I understand where JP is coming from... I think it's why he said to "research, research, research." We've done a lot and come a long way while waiting on parts to come to the market. Many changes, modifications, sales, buys and swaps were done before we arrived closer to our optimal "Need vs Money" ratio. If OP thinks he wants big power in the future, I suggest skipping the staged packages altogether. Pick up a AP and the turbo kit. It's really all you need unless you plan on going farther with an engine build. With that in mind, you'd end up spending more money on staged mods without researching and laying out your plan.

Half of the options we have right now, didn't exist not too long ago. We're just giving our experience to help other people avoid spending and wasting time; we've done most of that for you. However, I expect this to be taken with a grain of salt; not telling anyone what to do.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
That is... If you can stay at stage 2ish. I'm not saying that going through the stages is bad, but if (as I said in my earlier post) power is what one is going after... A turbo upgrade kit would be my preference. Just advice coming from someone who has spent a lot of money over the years. You will never get close to the power of a upgraded turbo with just staged bolt one on this car. Companies like DHM have kit coming out that are comparable to a full out Stage 3 bolt on setup in price. A lot of the parts that people get (intake, cat back, etc) are not required necessarily on a turbo upgrade to make great power. Sure they will enhance the power results even more if you already have them but not necessary. So with that being said.... 3-4K on a mild turbo upgrade kit vs 3 k on a stage 3 setup.... If I had to do it over again with this car....the turbo upgrade would be the choice. Then there is, of course, warranty concerns...well that's a whole other subject.
Preach! I feel the same way... If I'd just gotten into the FiST with the options we have now, I would've gone straight to the turbo upgrade and saved a LOT of money. Can't say I didn't enjoy the experience, though.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Preach! I feel the same way... If I'd just gotten into the FiST with the options we have now, I would've gone straight to the turbo upgrade and saved a LOT of money. Can't say I didn't enjoy the experience, though.
No doubt... It has been fun, lol.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So basically your saying....just get a bigger intercooler......Dp and upgrade the turbo and forget the stage kits and get a tune then? This would be the most logical step for most of you? I'm just gauging the future plans here.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So basically your saying....just get a bigger intercooler......Dp and upgrade the turbo and forget the stage kits and get a tune then? This would be the most logical step for most of you? I'm just gauging the future plans here.
What kind of power do you want? What's your purpose?

If you want all teh powaz, the answer is yes. But then you need to decide on want you want to do with it. AutoX a smaller upgrade. If you want to make the V8s cry go all out.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What kind of power do you want? What's your purpose?

If you want all teh powaz, the answer is yes. But then you need to decide on want you want to do with it. AutoX a smaller upgrade. If you want to make the V8s cry go all out.
A modest 275 to 300whp would be nice. As we all know everything is more fun with more torque and hp.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
A modest 275 to 300whp would be nice. As we all know everything is more fun with more torque and hp.
Dead Hooks GT290r kit would be perfect for you. Picking up either Race intercooler or the stock placement one, and an AP would put get you there for about $5k.

Sounds deep? Remember that DHM kits come with everything you need except the intercooler and AP. So you're getting:

Oil feed and coolant steel braided lines
Downpipe
Inlet pipe
Hot side pipe
BOV
Wastegate and dump tube
The manifold
Tuning

So you figure things like so:
$200 for the lines
$250 for the downpipe
$30 for the pipe
$200 for an intake
$250 for a BOV
$280 for a Wastegate
$100 or more for the dump tube
$1000 for a manifold
$250 or more for tuning
$1150 for the turbo

You're at $3400. Throw in your choice of intercooler and the AP and you're still around the $5k mark.

So, why buy from DHM if you piece-meal if together? With DHM you get a system designed to work together. And their customer service.

I mean, you could do it cheaper on EBay, but the results won't be the same.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Dead Hooks GT290r kit would be perfect.......
So, why buy from DHM if you piece-meal if together? With DHM you get a system designed to work together. And their customer service.
All of that and what sealed the deal for me was their LIFETIME WARRANTY on their turbo kits. [thumb]